The history of Aix really began in the year 122 B.C., when the Romans demolished Entremont and settled on a shelf rich in hot and cold springs. Thus Aquae Sextiae was born.
In the Middle Ages, after the Roman colony was abandoned, Aix became the place of residence of the sovereign counts of Provence and followed its calling as the regional centre of Provence and an important focus for trade and craftsmanship.
Aix founded its University in 1409. After a few eventful centuries, foreign wards, the turmoil of the Revolution and a major economic recession, Aix-en-Provence recovered and further developed its university, judicial and cultural roles.
Over the centuries many artists have lived in this city, drawn by its luminosity. Paul Cézanne was born there. Aix-en-Provence is now a young, lively and animated city all year round, with its population of 40 000 students.
Aix in a few words
A name that spans the eras: Aquae Sextiae, Ais en Provencou, Aix-en-Provence
- Date of birth: 122 B.C.
- Surface area: 18600 hectares
- Population: 137 067 habitants
- Altitude: 188 metres
- Mont Sainte Victoire: 1011 m
Pays d'Aix... en Provence
If your customer’s holiday is based in Aix, it would be a shame to miss out on the wealth of the purely Provencal heritage to be found in the other 36 villages which make up the Pays d’Aix (Aix Region), this extension can be made individually or in groups and for each type of trip
The Culture destination: festivals, heritage, exhibitions….
- Cézanne Tour, «I go to the country every day, the motifs are beautiful and I spend my days more enjoyably here than anywhere else.…»
- History tours, 4 historical tours: discover the stately homes, chapels and shrines of the Aix Region.
The Lifestyle destination: vines and wines tourism, arts and crafts, cultural sites.
- The Heritage Roads: 5 tours and 4 gourmet outings: taste local produce and experience the lifestyle, discover hilltop villages, see how man has tamed nature and harnessed its energy, or explore the local heritage.
The Nature destination: cycling and walking.
- Natural sites around Aix-en-Provence: mountains, forests, lakes and rivers…
Population : 342 000 inhabitants, (18 % of the population of Bouches du Rhône)
Surface: 130 000 ha
Distances: North (Pertuis) on South (Mimet) 60km and East (Coudoux) West (Vauvenargues) 40km